[aerogear-dev] Compose Push UI - draft (was: Re: UnifiedPush: Sending notifications from the AdminUI)

Hylke Bons hbons at redhat.com
Fri Feb 28 09:57:20 EST 2014

On 27/02/2014 20:00, Burr Sutter wrote:
> My quick feedback:
>
> The first screen should be the Message textarea, where I can
> immediately hit Send Message/Finish (in the wizard) and ignore the
> remaining steps - this would send the message to everybody, across all
> variants, for my app that was selected prior to seeing this screen.
>
> At least,  that is what the newbie needs - he only has 1 app, 1
> variant, 1 installation/device token and he wishes to see if the
> system works - if it fails, he reviews logs.  :-)
>
> Once the newbie has gotten his app created/debugged/tested, it needs
> to roll-into production, where the average company is likely to have 5
> apps, 2 variants each and hundreds/thousands of installations.

Where do you get these numbers from? That would be useful data to have. ;)

> There will be another tier of users, who have dozens of apps, with
> many variants, as they will likely use variants as "groups" like
> "Executive - iOS", "Executive - Android",  "Sales Manager - iOS",
> "Sales Manager - Android", "US Southeast Sales Team Member - iOS", "US
> Southeast Sales Team Member - Android".
>
> Was this last scenario envisioned for the use of variants?
>
> And yes, there will be users who are supporting tens of thousands of
> apps and variants and millions of devices/installations - as they are
> hosting UPS like a multi-tenant SaaS - but that is not exactly our
> target audience in terms of UI design.

Yes, this is exactly why we have variants.

I don't know about these numbers though. Use cases with millions of
variants need a different design. Variants are mostly there for us for
administrators to group things in a sensible way, having millions of
these will render that tool useless and we would have to look for a
different solution.

Hylke