[aerogear-dev] Android and JDK 1.6

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 09:17:48 EST 2014

Karel brought up the fact that the Android project relies on classes
from Java 7.  I would like for the Android project to compile using JDK
6, but I was wondering what the rest of the project thought.

For a little back story, until recently the dexer (Android Java byte
code to Dex byte code compiler) could only consume Java 6 byte code.
That was very recently fixed and almost all Java 7 features are
supported on Android version greater than Gingerbread.  The exception is
try with resources which is only supported on KitKat.

I havn't looked at the project yet to even get an idea for how much work
it would be, but I suspect it will be rather minimal.