[aerogear-dev] Should encrypted store fail to open when passphrase is wrong?

Tadeas Kriz tkriz at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 09:46:50 EST 2014

Right, the whole time all I was trying to agree on is that the user should know that the EncryptedSQLStore can’t decrypt the data inside it with the passphrase (or any other authentication method) when trying to open the store and not on ‘read’ like it’s now. All my suggestions were how that could be done and it seems that you have just another solution for that. As I see it, we’ve just misunderstood each other (or it might be just on my side).

To wrap it up, if there are plans that EncryptedSQLStore#open would be the method to throw InvalidKeyException and not other methods (well, of course other methods might be throwing this too, but that’d be just in some corner cases in which the database was tampered after it was already opened), I’m all good with that.

—
Tadeas Kriz
tkriz at redhat.com