[aerogear-dev] Keycloak integration ideas

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed Jan 22 06:53:24 EST 2014

Hello Stian,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Stian Thorgersen <stian at redhat.com> wrote:

> It's great to see interest in the Keycloak project :)
>
> We've been quite busy with getting the alpha out the door (hopefully it'll
> be released tomorrow) hence the lack of response. Also, I don't think Bill
> follows aerogear-dev.
>
> Would be good to start discussions on these items, maybe as separate posts
> to keycloak-dev?

sure, that would work for me

> A few thoughts from me:
>
> * We've got a quick and dirty OpenShift cartridge (
> https://github.com/keycloak/openshift-keycloak-cartridge) - it's based on
> the WildFly cartridge by Corey Daley. Seems to work pretty well and took me
> about an hour to do the mods. I was considering if it was possible to do
> the Keycloak and UPS cartridges as add-ons to the WildFly cartridge (same
> as postgresql and mysql cartridges). That way you can mix and match
> whatever combo you want. A specific cartridge may provide a better
> integrated experience though. Maybe we can ping someone in the OpenShift
> team to find out the correct approach?

sounds reasonable. Farah was kindly helping us w/ our Push Cartridge
(containing Unified- and SimplePush Servers + MySQL).
There are thoughts on integrating the UPS (e.g. the user management) w/
Keycloak. Something like that makes a perfect 'mix' for adding the Keycloak
bits into our cartridge. Sure we could 're-lable' it. Is that something
that sounds good ?

> * Mobile SDKs - There's not much effort yet on supporting mobiles. Maybe
> you could help us with creating Keycloak SDKs, with most of the code
> reusable in AeroGear and LiveOak?

Absolutely, for that I think it would be good to start a thread on
keycloak-dev regarding 'requirements' / desired functionality. Ideally
these SDKs are leveraging AeroGear's mobile client SDKs.

> * JS - None in Keycloak, but I've started one in LiveOak. Again, could we
> do a Keycloak JS lib that could be reused by AeroGear and LiveOak?

+1 and that would be needed pretty much once the UnifiedPushServer is
integrating w/ Keycloak :-)

> If you have any issues/questions at all post to keycloak-dev and I'm sure
> me and Bill will fight to see how gets to answer first ;)

yay!

Cheers!
Matthias