[aerogear-dev] [UPS] User Management - open items / following up

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed Jan 22 08:31:12 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org> wrote:

> Morning, answers inline.
>
> --
> abstractj
>
> On January 22, 2014 at 8:26:25 AM, Sebastien Blanc (scm.blanc at gmail.com)
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Since the User Management PR has been submitted [1] there has
> > been of a lot
> > of useful and interesting feedback, thanks Matzew and Abstractj
> > for that.
> >
> > Some valid concerns has been raised, in particular 2 of them that
> > I would
> > like to expose here and to discuss to see how we can deal witth them
> > for
> > the 0.10.0 release :
> >
> > 1.
> > Currently the password register/reset link that is generated
> > is persisted.
> > This is a point of concern[2]. The fact is that with the current
> > flow, we
> > can not go against that:
> >
> > - An admin create an user, a link is generated.
> > - The admin send this link to the new user.
> > - The user browse to link -> at this moment we need to be able to
> retrieve
> > the stored link to check for its validity.
>
> I completely understand that you guys need to release it by the end of
> this month and I’m not against it. The goal was just to alert about the
> risks and maybe create new Jiras for it (only to people know that we are
> aware of it).

Well, even if it takes a bit longer (e.g. early Feb.), I think that is fine
to have a few more days/weeks to get the 'User Management' in. Was supposed
to be the 'big' item for 0.10 :) Other than that there were a few fixes and
UI polish things. So IMO waiting a bit is perfectly valid - my personal
opinion.

I am glad we are following up on these items, and eventually we create
JIRAs :-) Thanks for the heads-up, Bruno!

> > Some points :
> > - The token/register link is presisted without any relation
> > with the newly
> > created user, so an hacker could not make a connection between
> > the 2.
>
> Maybe is my misunderstanding about the big picture, but the token has no
> relation with the newly created user, why do we have something like this?
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/118#discussion-diff-8996740R29
>
> > - The new created user, as long he has not registered through the
> > link,
> > can not log into the system as he has no password, as Bruno suggested
> > me to
> > do on the ML.
> >
> > How shall we deal with that for 0.10.0 ? We can improve in 0.11.0
>
> If we are aware of the improvements to the next release, why not?

that would be fine w/ me as well

> Just make sure to remove any relation between users and tokens (at least
> for password reseting) and also make it clear to the “admin” that with
> "great power comes with great responsibility”.

+1

> I would suggest to point them to Jiras at our docs, we can always improve.
>
> > and also
> > keeping in mind that keycloak could come into the party quite
> > soon.
>
> We need to keep our eyes in Keycloak, but they are still under
> development, the best approach is to make clear our needs, ideas and send
> some code to the project, IMO.

yep, I agree!

> > 2.
> > Currently, to generate the register link, we use a private key.
> > This key is
> > located in the project[3]. This should not be in the github project
> > as
> > pointed by Bruno [4] which make totally sense. I will remove the
> > private
> > key from the repo and add instructions to tell how and where to
> > put your
> > private key.
> >
> > But I don't know how to deal for the UPS cartdridge, since we ship
> > a war,
> > the private key will be missing. Any ideas input on that is welcome.
>
> I can help on it and change my priorities if necessary, just not sure
> about the timing for you guys (I can do it today and make it available
> tomorrow for testing).

IMO not worth rushing for today/tomorrow, as said above; If you can help
that would be extremely awesome, but let's not change all of your
priorities because of this :-)

-Matthias