[aerogear-dev] Aerogear Feature Request - Auto Increment Badge

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Jul 17 06:34:31 EDT 2014

Hi Keith!

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM, keithdmoore94 <keith at kdmooreconsulting.com>
wrote:

> Currently, the cordova push plugin sets the badge number to zero which
> clears
> out the notifications upon launching the app.
>
> What I am saying is that I would like for the badge number to be
> incremented
> as the notification center receives the notification, not the mobile device
> app.

yeah, the push plugin should set the arrived number. Can you file a ticket
for that ?

> So in my server side application, I would like to be able to set the badge
> number in the java push client to "increment" and then have the Aerogear
> Push Server keep track of the badge number and increment it every time a
> push notification is sent.

Nope, the push server won't keep track. It just delivers the given number
to APNs.
The number can be totally different per user (e.g. number of messages in a
messanger).

> In the mobile app, I can always call the method to decrement the badge
> number upon receiving the notification.  Or even better would be to have
> the
> aerogear cordova plugin do that for me when it sends the notification.

decrement (or setting back to zero) is app logic, and Apple treats it that
way.
IMO the Push Plugin should follow that as well

Thanks for sharing your toughts!

Greetings,
Matthias