[aerogear-dev] Direct access to UnifiedPush Server's REST without OAuth

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Jun 5 04:47:21 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Tadeas Kriz <tkriz at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> as you might know, in the integration tests we only test the REST backend,
> making sure it works as intended. Before Keycloak, every action was
> achievable using the REST, that included login, logout and user management.
> We don’t need the user management for sure, but login and logout is an
> another story. Now with Keycloak anyone who wants to just use REST calls,
> still need to login using the Keycloak.
>
> My question is, do we want users to be able to access the REST without
> OAuth? If we do, it would probably mean we need to have two Keycloak
> applications,

What do you mean here? Are you suggestion two WAR files (for each 'keycloak
application') ? Or just more a declarative setup?

> one for the UI which would still use OAuth and second one for REST calls
> which would use Bearer only. This would also mean that when someone makes a
> REST call to an endpoint without being authorized, he would receive 401
> response, instead of 302 redirect (before Keycloak, the response was 401 in
> case of unauthorized access).

yeah, I think the RESTful APIs behind the 'AdminUI' for the
'application/variant management' should continue to work. (I doubt there is
much usage of those outside of the AdminUI)