[aerogear-dev] Keycloak integration and UPS Sender

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Tue Jun 17 18:12:25 EDT 2014

Answers inline.

On 2014-06-17, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Matthias, answer inline.

> >> under

> >> Currently Keycloak is protecting our endpoints under /rest/*

> >> Is not the Keycloak.js usage responsible for this, but the correct
> >> configuration of the application atm. Please compare:
> >>
> >> - master branch:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/master/server/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml#L56
> >> - keycloak.js branch:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/keycloak.js/server/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml#L33
> >>
> >> Now we're fully using Keycloak bearer tokens instead of Basic.
> >>

> > Oh, I was following Bill's sample project, where he did not use the
> > 'KEYCLOAK' auth-method:
> >
> > https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/master/project-integrations/aerogear-ups/app/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml#L44
> >
> > But we had the exclusion working w/ the KEYCLOAK 'auth-method', but this
> > goes back to our initial starts in Dec/Jan.
> > Here is a rebased commit based on your initial commit:
> >
> > https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/2aabd073aaaafa79943ea41d2651f6f0c5e4248e/server/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml#L42-L53

> >> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/master/server/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml#L46-L52
> >>
> >> I tried to include your exclusions, but that didn't work for me.

> >> HTTP_BASIC
> >> an
> >>
> >> I had a chat with Stian and looks like it's possible to support both
> >> auth methods in a single app, but that would involve changes on Keycloak.
> >> It's just the matter of discuss with KC team.
> >>

> > I don't think we need to enable to <auth-method> settings in our web.xml;

How do you manage login/logout/current logged in user on Angular.js? Is
possible to do on the server side, but how do you control it on the
client side?

> I mean: I think there is no need to enable multiple <auth-method> args, as
> we had the exclusion already working at some point, using their KEYCLOAK
> auth-method

Stian did that inclusion which for me looks correct. An excerpt from KC
documentation:

"To be able to secure WAR apps deployed on JBoss AS 7.1.1, JBoss EAP 6.x,
or Wildfly, you must install and configure the Keycloak Subsystem. You
then have two options to secure your WARs. You can provide a keycloak
config file in your WAR and change the auth-method to KEYCLOAK within
web.xml. Alternatively, you don't have to crack open your WARs at all
and can apply Keycloak via the Keycloak Subsystem configuration in
standalone.xml. Both methods are described in this section."

You can also stick with BASIC, but probably you end with implementations
and customizations that don't take any benefit of Keycloak.js.

Either way I will talk tomorrow with Stian and let's see what we can do.