[aerogear-dev] iOS Passphrases for UPS

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:12:39 EDT 2014

Let me try to answer your questions so I can see if I have understand it
well and then Abstractj can confirm (or not ) :)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>wrote:

> Ahoy!
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Bruno Oliveira <abstractj at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> Good morning guys, for this issue
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-358. I was revisiting the whole
>> UPS code and thinking about include two fields for iOSVariant class: skey
>> (secret key) and pKey (public key). What's the idea?
>>
>> 1. Each application has its own key pair
>>

> each of the PushApplication constructs/objects on the UPS ?

Yes, What I understand : each PushAPP has his own pair

>> 2. Before the addition of the iOS variant, the client sends a request
>> asking for the public keys
>>

> "the client" ? Is that the AdminUI (or the relevant HTTP Rest code), when
> someone clicks "Add new Variant" ?

I understand the AdminUI/Rest Service. And this mean there will be an extra
REST service to retrieve the public key. Idea : maybe the public key could
be already in the response of the GET of the "Parent" PushApplication.

>> 3. The server sends an HTTP response with the public key for encryption
>> 4. The client make use of the public key to encrypt the certificate + the
>> passphrase
>> 5. Server stores it encrypted
>> 6. When necessary to send push messages, the server make use of the
>> private key to decrypt that data and send fancy messages.
>>

> Now, when a (JavaEE) application is sending a request for push messages to
> the UPS (which than internally makes use of the private key to decrypt that
> data and send fancy messages to Apple), the HTTP RestEndpoint requires a
> new argument (the public key) to be allowed to submit these "requests" ?

I don't think so since it will use only the private key to decrypt, so the
API stays unchanged.