[aerogear-dev] Passphrase encryption - REST API discussion

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Mar 13 10:17:24 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org> wrote:

> Ahoy, regarding the HTTP header we can move it to the body. What would you
> suggest?

No, I'd like to avoid that protected header/body at all :-)

But... if the server really can not figure out if cert. and its passphrase
are encrypted, I guess I can live w/ it - for now.
Ideally the SEND API stays unchanged

> Other answers inline.
>
> --
> abstractj
>
> On March 13, 2014 at 10:02:04 AM, Matthias Wessendorf (matzew at apache.org)
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> > > iOS Variant:
> > >
> > > - HTTP request
> > >
> > > Remain unchanged, but now certificate and passphrase can be send
> > > encrypted and the server will store it.
> > >

> > encrptyed w/ the help of the public-key ?
>
> Totally correct

Ok, good. Oh, question: do we provide a tool for the encryption?

> > > - HTTP response
> > >
> > > Remain unchaged

> > > - HTTP request
> > >
> > > Remain unchanged,
> >

> > w/ "unchanged" you basically mean the payload of the "Send request" is
> the
> > same as it is today, right ?
>
> Correct. But with we agree on the flag, might be necessary to include
> something like "protected: true" as optional argument. Or any other thing
> to let the server know.

yeah, I see. Hrm - not sure I like the flag :-)
Perhaps there is a way (at least for the "long run") that the server gets:
Ah, it is encrypted (or not).

As said the flag is not the end of the world - I just try to make the
"SEND" as simple as possible :)

> > > but now the server will search for the application ID and retrieve the
> > > public key to decrypt application's passphrase
> > >

> > Ok, that's internal details. So the server basically deprcypts both: cert
> > and its passphrase, in order to establish the connection to APNs
>
> Correct

cool

> > > AeroGear Clients
> > >
> > > - cURL
> > >
> > > Yesterday I had the amusing experience of dig into the sources of
> OpenSSL
> > > and their documentation, to see how people could encrypt it from the
> > > command line. If I recommend that people would remember my name for the
> > > eternity in a bad way. Another insane idea was to provide encoders for
> GPG.
> > > The simplest idea, I think, would be provide code for people encrypt
> their
> > > passphrase and certificate, instead of trust in some software.
> > >

> > but that's really just for the "registration part", right ? I don't care
> > that much about a cumbersome API there :-) Because in 99% of all cases
> the
> > actual registration (and cert/passphrase upload) is done via the sexy
> Admin
> > UI.
> >

> > The CURL for the send stays the same as it is today, right ?
>
> Correct. The sexy admin UI is not really a concern to me, but the clients
> external to it.

and external clients are in 99% of the cases just using SEND - not the
Registration bits

> The goal is mostly provide options for people encrypt their thing.

yep!! And that is great!