[aerogear-dev] UPS UX updates

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Mar 27 10:00:36 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Hylke Bons <hbons at redhat.com> wrote:

>  Hey,
>
> On 26/03/2014 09:44, Sebastien Blanc wrote:
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>wrote:
>
>>  As said before: overall they are really looking very great and modern!
>> I really like them.
>>
>>  A few questions on some of the screens:
>>
>>  * applications.png
>> List ("table") of all Push Applications:
>> - Is there no side bar for this?
>>

> I left out the sidebar in a couple of screens for time reasons. The
> sidebar when realised will be on every screen just like the header.

perfect!

>>  * application-details-blue.png
>> It's the details of one application, and has overview of all its variants.
>> - Is the plan to list all variants on their platform? Instead of having a
>> table? I do like that grouping! Just wondering :-)
>>

> I also like the grouping but when we will introduce paging, it will be
> paging per groups ? Not sure how UX friendly that will be.
>

> Yea, it makes much more sense to do variant grouping by platform than just
> having one huge table like we had previously. Paging will happen per
> platform "group".

great! I'd don't see a huge problem here in pagination of the variatns; I
doubt that one PushApp has a gazillion different variants

>    - When I click on a certain variant (e.g. the "Demo" variant of the
>> iOS section ), there is no separate page/view for its' details? Like its
>> installations ? I'd really prefer to have a page/view for all the details
>> of a certain variant. Also the code snippets for a variant is missing
>>

>  I also like it this way, all the info needed can fit and not sure if we
> want to navigate to another page jsut for the details (For editing yes =>
> other page).
>
>    A problem with this was that the Application Details page looked too
> much like the Variant Details page. It's convenient to have all the needed
> actions and code snippets, for sending notifications and registering
> installations, one a single page. Why do you like having a separate Variant
> Details page?

Ok, I now "understand" the new flow, of the UI.

>   The Code Snippets : Yeah A button/link would be needed
>

> This are the "What's this for?" links. We might want to reconsider the
> name for that.

Now, I open the details of a variant (by clicking on it), and I see the LINK

Clicking on it will give me a "popup" with the different code-snippet
(note: we need Cordova + native), per variant, right ?

>>  - Sidebar: is that specific to an application? See notes on
>> "applications.png"
>> - The "Notifications" on the sidebar, what's that?
>> - What's the "gear-wheel" for ?
>>

> The gear menu will have contextual actions like "Rename" and "Delete".
> It's less cluttered than having them as links or icons on every row.

ah!!!  Took a bit to realize that :-)

>>  * "dialogs.png"
>> - For an application construct, that's good enough; Creating a variant is
>> a bit more complex (see current UI)
>>  - Is there no side bar for this?
>>

>  I assume that for delete app/variant or reset id/secrets we will use the
> same dialogs
>

>>  * installations.png
>>  - Is there no side bar for this?
>>  - If I understand the view/page correctly, its a list of ALL
>> installations for one PushApplication. However, we should list the variants
>> PER variant (see current UI).  The Navigation path on the bread-crumbs
>> would be "Applications >> Mobile HR >> Demo (iOS) >> Installations
>> (number)"
>>
> +1 but I think that was also Hylke's initial idea  because on the
> application details screen you see that the link to installations is on the
>  "variant" level. I think it was just a glitch in his bread-crumbs.
>

> I wasn't too sure about what we could do here. In some cases it's good to
> have installations per variant, in others you want to see them per
> application.

for now, I think, let's list them only per variant - feels (for me) a bit
more clean

Thanks for the reply. I hope we are now all on the same page.

Oh, any chance to get a bit rid of that blue; replacing by a different
colour ? :-))