[aerogear-dev] UnifiedPush Server: Hello World- and Quickstart Examples

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon Mar 31 09:25:41 EDT 2014

Hello there,

we recently had talks about creating some simplified quickstarts and
hello-word demos, related to the UnifiedPush Server and JBoss AS developers:

* Hello World (No Server Code - just client receiving push, no fancy
(complex) UI on the client, nor integrated into a Cookbook or something
that has "dependencies")
** Cordova
** Android

For iOS that is already there:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-ios-demo

Yes, just usage of the "Push Registration SDKs", is the goal here: keep it
simple, since native push can be a complicated use-case all on its own and
so it will be good to make sure we cover the basics here.

Beyond the Hello-World, we wanted some different quickstarts. The "server"
components that come to mind would be:

*Secured CRUD + Push Integration (Java Sender)
** JAX-RS + PicketLink
** SpringMVC/Spring Security
** JAX-RS + Apache Camel

These need to function on both JBoss AS 7.X and EAP.

Josh, from the JDF team, has already said he wants to help on the server
projects (especially the JAX-RS/PL and Spring ones). yay!
Note: Josh already has a simple backend started that is used in JDF
quickstarts that would be good to re-use to make it easier for developers
to transition from one to other.

The goal would be the SERVER acts same to outside (identical REST
endpoints, difference is only an impl. detail (e.g. JavaEE vs. Spring vs.
Camel))

For these different servers, there would be mobile apps needed:
* Android
* Cordova
* iOS

The idea would be to keep them simple and straightforward as well, e.g. for
iOS that means plain usage of NSURLConnection / NSURLSession. But for the
"push registration" of the client,
the iOS-push SDK would be used (same/similar would apply to Cordova or
Android). Similar to the above 'Hello World', the quickstarts are going to
be focused only on Push functionality, so for these we would leave out
pipes and such until later versions.

I will be creating Epics and subtasks in JIRA for this.

For the location of all these projects, I had this "uber repo" location in
mind:
* https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-helloworld
* https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-quickstarts

Greetings,