[aerogear-dev] Android OAuth2 PR

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Mon May 5 11:56:26 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-05, Summers Pittman wrote:
> On Mon 05 May 2014 08:36:59 AM EDT, Corinne Krych wrote:
> >
> > 2. Android version is now definitively ahead of iOS one ;) as you’ve
> > implemented refresh token but configuration is very alike for the
> > naming etc… +1
> >
> > 3. I like AuthzSevice idea where we store the tokens for easier
> > automatic refresh. Most end-user app will ask for grant only once so
> > such a service that retieve and check validity of token is needed;
> > - But, what about making it configurable to leave the option to store
> > or not to store tokens?
> Seems like it is somewhat related to this :
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-241
>
> Perhaps the jira should be to make storage configurable.  If we wanted
> to explicitly NOT store then we could make a dummy Store which just
> routed everything to /dev/null.

What's the real need behind store those tokens? If is really necessary,
that's ok, otherwise let's do not store it. Offline, OAuth2 tokens are
useless.

Or add an option to choose between store or not store like mentioned
here.

> > - The storage for refresh token should be more secure either encrypted
> > storage with ag-crypto or keychain/keystore. wdyt?
> See above

Encryption won't fix this, worse, will add an extra level of complexity
to the application. Let's think about it, what do we need for
encryption?

1. Generate a private key
2. If it doesn't have a password is worthless (for local storage)
3. Alright, is password based, let's encrypt everything now
4. Now at every inclusion of tokens, you prompt users for the password

They would remember your name forever sometimes attached to bad names.
IMO my suggestion is:

1. Leave it as is and never allow to store in any kind of external storage
2. Do not store (+1)
2. Cache and destroy it when the application is closed
4. Use encryption and make the whole application more complex

> > 4. not sure about what is the purpose of AdditionalAuthorizationParams
> > in AuthzConfig?
> So the OAuth2 spec isn't implemented very well.  As an example to get a
> refresh token from google you have to pass the parameter "access_type"
> with a value "offline".  This is not part of the spec per se.
> >
> > 5. Obviously as you said more work need to be done for removing token,
> > Authorizer..
> > for iOs we have an epic AGIOS-188 [3] for all Oauth2 work. Checking
> > Android tickets, I was a bit surprised by AGDROID-244 and AGDROID-242,
> > does it mean support for OAuth?
> I would like it.  After the PR is merged passos and I should have this
> scheduled.  I am sure these will not be a priority but it is a nice to have.
> >
> > Good work! Need to look into AGIOS-145 refresh token and (newly
> > created) AGIOS-190 AuthzService to catch up with you guys.
> >
> > ++
> > Corinne
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/secondsun/aerogear-android-oauth2-demo
> > [2]
> > https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios-cookbook/blob/master/GoogleDrive/GoogleDrive.md#google-setup-optional
> > [3] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGIOS-188
> >
> > On 27 Apr 2014, at 08:55, Corinne Krych <corinnekrych at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Yep same here i'd love to review it an compare with iOS version. I'll
> >> send feedback next week too.
> >> ++
> >> Corinne
> >>
> >> On Friday, April 25, 2014, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org> wrote:
> >> Hi Summers, not sure about the timing. But I would like to review on the
> >> next week.

> >> --
> >>
> >> abstractj

> Summers Pittman