[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Android Push 0.1.1

Daniel Passos daniel at passos.me
Tue May 6 10:19:42 EDT 2014

Talking with Summers about what is the best options to solved that, we have
some options:

1) Catch the 302 and handle it inside of the rest provider. [1]

2) We can fix the IOException which is being thrown, throw the
HttpException correctly, and in the registrar check for 30x and then rerun
the operation [2]

3) We let the HttpException escape to the callback handler

We don't like the option 1, because increases complexity in the
HttpRestProvider class and it hides the 30x messages from the developers
should they want to handle them.  Furthermore, Summers argues that since
the registration code is being called often it would be better for the
developer to be aware of them and have to handle them in her code instead
of ours.  In short, if there are redirects then the developer should be
made aware so she can update her URL and make fewer HTTP requests (this is
important on mobile for battery life, data caps, etc).

[1]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/impl/http/HttpRestProvider.java#L256
[2]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/impl/unifiedpush/AeroGearGCMPushRegistrar.java#L139-L144