[aerogear-dev] aerogear-js CouchDB data-manager adapter

Lucas Holmquist lholmqui at redhat.com
Tue May 27 09:12:18 EDT 2014

Cool Stuff,  i will take a look

On May 26, 2014, at 7:55 AM, Lukáš Fryč <lukas.fryc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Tolis,
>
> great job with the adapter!
>

> a) remove()
>
> since there are obviously many ways how to achieve "delete all docs",
> I believe it's up to user to choose the way he wants the docs deleted
> i.e. it could be up to Data Manager configuration whether data will be deleted with or without a history loss (aka wipe out). wdyt?
>

> b) Filtering
>
> It would be pretty overwhelming for a user to create a view per particular use of the filter() method, since it can have pretty arbitrary form.
> We are also able to create temporary views, but that requires you to perform one additional POST request and it is costly.
>
> Are we able to come up with a common view definition that would cover all the filtering capabilities - i.e. generic aerogear-filter view?
> Something that user would define once and all cases would be covered.
> I have not practically played with CouchDB, but according the docs it could be somehow possible.
>

> Btw as I think about it, there might be lack of function for limiting what data to transfer.
> i.e. Filtering API allows you to select just particular docs, but it does not help you to avoid what will be transferred.
>
> All the Data Managers so far are local ones, CouchDB is a first one that actually transfers data from the wire.

This is a concern i had when created the JIRA,   This “adapter” might be more appropriate for DataSync( or whatever we are calling it ).  I know we were looking at couchDB as a possible backend.

I’m wondering if we should hold off for now,  and just keep DataManager client side storage only for the moment.  I think the fallback functionality will be non-trivial