[aerogear-dev] UPS admin-ui distribution compiled by frontend-maven-plugin

Lukáš Fryč lukas.fryc at gmail.com
Thu May 29 09:44:37 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org> wrote:

> Good morning, I have some n00b questions. What happens with web
> developer or node developers who don't care about Maven? Is still
> possible to make use of pure node to build admin-ui?

This is a completely valid question and that's why it was answered
beforehand. :-)

{quote} Note1: web developer will still leverage Node tooling {quote}

...during his regular workflow

> Speaking about the downsides:
>
> I think this might be a concern, if is necessary to fix something at each
> Node
> upgrade.
>
> > * he had some issues himself to get it work, especially during Node
> upgrades
> > * stability of the build can be questionable
>
> I'm not sure about the negative influence if is possible to choose. Could
> you
> please elaborate?
>
> > * it can negatively influence developers that are not aware of Node
> tooling

Since I did not used it, I can't say it's 100% way to go, but it's worth a
prototype work.

There seems to be a non-trivial community around this tool.

(Btw we did something similar with use of PhantomJS back in Arquillian and
it's HUGE win for users.
They don't even know there was ever some problem with downloading
PhantomJS.)

> My latest question is: do we really need this? why?

The problem this plugin solves is that everytime you change admin-ui, you
need to compile down distribution and save it as a source tree (and this
itself is no, no..!, NO!).

* if you forget. you will get your friends into trouble - they won't work
on up to date version anymore
* you are polluting git commit history with non-relevant changes
(sidenote: at this very moment, we don't compile distribution - once we do
so, some of admin-ui dist files will be removed and some will be added with
each admin-ui change)

The fact is not only we, but also larger community, are facing the same
issue:

* how the hell connect the web development tooling with Maven tooling?,
* or vice-versa my boss wants me to produce WAR, but I'm frontend developer
who knows no java

It frontend-maven-plugin works it is the solution for broader audience. If
not, we should keep seeking an answer.