[aerogear-dev] External vs Embedded browser for OAuth2 libs and Cordova plugin

Erik Jan de Wit edewit at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 04:02:03 EST 2014

On 24 Nov,2014, at 9:43 , Corinne Krych <corinnekrych at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the best approach is to go external browser, one of the main issue with embedded view is that the user stills have to enter credentials in native app. Although it might offer a better UX experience not switching apps, it’s seen as less secure. My preference would be to go external. On iOS, the re-enter app is solved using URI schema. The same approach is used fro Cordova plugin, the schema is configured in the config.xml cordova file.

Yes, because when using a WebView the app could override onKeyDown and get your password:

@Override
public boolean onKeyDown(int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
    // I’m getting your password here
    return super.onKeyDown(keyCode, event);
}

Obviously that it not what we do, but it could be done easy also by app that uses our oath2 library.

> @summersp @passos do you have plan to move to external browser?
>
> Erik started working on Oauth2 Android with embedded view, but if we’re planning to move to ext. browser maybe it's worth putting the plugin implementation on hold untill we got that?

I guess because of the WebView I have to use the aar as a dependency for the plugin. This is not supported by cordova, but it will be supported in version 4.0 So I hope that using the external browser will make using the aar no longer needed. As this will mean like for iOS a lot of manual steps needed to get the plugin to work and no JBDS support for this plugin.

Cheers,
	Erik Jan