[aerogear-dev] Security advice for UnifiedPush Server

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon Nov 24 08:39:13 EST 2014

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Andreas Røsdal <andreas.rosdal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> > I think what you're looking for is something like this[1], right?
>
> Maybe this could be secured using Netfilter on Linux, I would be
> interested in hearing more about this.
> Initially, I thought I would be looking for a F5 firewall iRule kind of
> like this:
> -Allow: /ag-push/(registration)
> -Deny: /ag-push/(admin-gui)  and /ag-push/(java-api-access)
>
> Is /ag-push/ is designed to be exposed to the public Internet?

well, it's up to you :) if you have different remote systems, that need to
contact the server -> you wanna expose the /sender part too. if not ->
block it

As you said earlier, the only one that really needs to be exposed to public
is the device registration.

> >That's an interesting scenario. I think if we extracted the registration
> >module to a separated WAR file, would help to protect /ag-push
> >infrastructure. Not sure if the idea is interesting.

That is an interesting point, and worth evaluating.
Internally of that "registration.war", we could simply act as a proxy to
the 'real' registration (on the ag-push.war), which is blocked by the
firewall.

-Matthias