[aerogear-dev] [UPS] Geolocation Support

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 11:52:14 EST 2014

Hi Folks !

During our last f2f we agreed on adding some geolocation support for the
next UnifiedPush Release (1.1). I would like to start here a thread to
discuss this topic.

Let's keep in mind : *Crawl, Walk, Run*

I would like to start with a concrete proposition and initiate the
discussions from there :
<https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/d89e41b72c9de537dbde#installations>
Installations
<https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/d89e41b72c9de537dbde#model-change>Model
Change

The idea is to add 2 new fields to the Installation Object :

double longitude;
double latitude;

These field *should* be optional !
<https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/d89e41b72c9de537dbde#registration>
Registration

When the device registers, along with alias, categories etc ... it will
also be possible to pass a latitude and longitude.

Later, we will probably offer a endpoint to update these properties. PUT
/registry/device/{token}
<https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/d89e41b72c9de537dbde#sender>Sender
<https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/d89e41b72c9de537dbde#server-side>Server
Side

We need to extend the current sender API to be able to add geolocation as a
criteria. I see that as something like :

{
  "message":{
    "alert":"HELLO!
  },
  "criteria":{
   "geolocation":
       {
      "latitude" : 40.2566
      "longitude": 2.36556
      "within" : 5
      "unit" : "Km" // optional, default is Km
       }
  }
}

In this example, the Push Notification will be sent only to devices within
a radius of 5 km of the supplied location.

On the implementation side, I think it make sense to use Hibernate Search
since it has nice support forSpatial queries
<https://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/search/4.2/reference/en-US/html/spatial.html>
.
<https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/d89e41b72c9de537dbde#sender-client>Sender
Client

The different Sender Clients (Java, Node.js, .net) should be updated
accordingly.
<https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/d89e41b72c9de537dbde#client-sdks>Client
SDKs

In this fisrt iteration, the registration code would to be updated to
include latitude and longitude for :

   - iOS (Including Safari ? )
   - Android ( Including Chrome Apps ?)
   - JS UPS-SPS Lib
   - Cordova Plugin
   - Amazon
   - Windows

Retrieving the current position of the device is not in scope of this first
version, later we could offer some features around that.

There are some jiras to track these tasks :
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-828

Comments and questions welcome !

Sebi