[aerogear-dev] notification alert and app launched displays the alert

Daniel Passos daniel at passos.me
Wed Oct 22 06:56:59 EDT 2014

Hello,

Answers inline

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM, chansdad <rajnukala at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am testing aerogear for a project of mine . Able to send alerts .
>
> Here are couple of questions
> 1. Can I send alerts based on a deviceId?

Yes and No. You can add an alias from this device on registration and send
a message to this alias.

> 2. alerts is visible in the notifications panel in android . when i select
> the alert , it takes me to the app . and when the app is active displays
> the
> alert dialog on top of the app . can i disable this? when the app is not
> active , alert is not displayed on the app screen.
> 3. Can i customize the alert as it displays on the screen.
> 4. Does aerogear support rich media notifications to be displayed on
> homescreen. If not is there a plan to add this feature?

So, talking about android land, is not an AeroGear responsibility display
the message received from UPS.

AeroGear provides a BroadcastReceiver[1] implementation. That automatically
handles/parse/whatever and dispatch it to one (or more) MessageHandler[2],

You (I mean developer) need create and declare MessageHandler. You can
declare a MessageHandler directly in AndroidManifest[3] or do it
programatically[4][5]

Your MessageHander is responsable by display the message (or do something
in background) using the best way to this

Hope this help you

[1]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/unifiedpush/AeroGearGCMMessageReceiver.java
[2]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/unifiedpush/MessageHandler.java
[3] <meta-data android:name="DEFAULT_MESSAGE_HANDLER_KEY"
android:value="[YOUR MessageHandler IMPLEMENTATION CLASS HERE]" />
[4]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-helloworld/blob/master/android/src/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/helloworld/activities/MessagesActivity.java#L52-L59
[5]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-helloworld/blob/master/android/src/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/helloworld/activities/MessagesActivity.java#L67-L72

> Thanks and to be honest , aerogear makes it super simple to send out
> notifications .I still need to figure out if i can  send messages by
> deviceId as that is my key requirement.

Glad to know that and thanks for trying out the UPS

> Regards

-- Passos