[aerogear-dev] notification alert and app launched displays the alert

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed Oct 22 07:20:14 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Daniel Passos <daniel at passos.me> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Answers inline
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM, chansdad <rajnukala at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am testing aerogear for a project of mine . Able to send alerts .
>>
>> Here are couple of questions
>> 1. Can I send alerts based on a deviceId?
>>

> Yes and No. You can add an alias from this device on registration and send
> a message to this alias.

Right! and, as a little 'work-around', you cold store the registrationID on
the alias value -  That way you can send to a specific device, leveraging
the 'alias' feature ;-)

>> 2. alerts is visible in the notifications panel in android . when i select
>> the alert , it takes me to the app . and when the app is active displays
>> the
>> alert dialog on top of the app . can i disable this? when the app is not
>> active , alert is not displayed on the app screen.
>> 3. Can i customize the alert as it displays on the screen.
>> 4. Does aerogear support rich media notifications to be displayed on
>> homescreen. If not is there a plan to add this feature?

you mean, posting HTML5 and stuff? basically, as passos said, the content
is really up to your use-case.

> So, talking about android land, is not an AeroGear responsibility display
> the message received from UPS.
>
> AeroGear provides a BroadcastReceiver[1] implementation. That
> automatically handles/parse/whatever and dispatch it to one (or more)
> MessageHandler[2],
>
> You (I mean developer) need create and declare MessageHandler. You can
> declare a MessageHandler directly in AndroidManifest[3] or do it
> programatically[4][5]
>
> Your MessageHander is responsable by display the message (or do something
> in background) using the best way to this
>
> Hope this help you
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/unifiedpush/AeroGearGCMMessageReceiver.java
> [2]
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/blob/master/src/org/jboss/aerogear/android/unifiedpush/MessageHandler.java
> [3] <meta-data android:name="DEFAULT_MESSAGE_HANDLER_KEY"
> android:value="[YOUR MessageHandler IMPLEMENTATION CLASS HERE]" />
> [4]
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-helloworld/blob/master/android/src/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/helloworld/activities/MessagesActivity.java#L52-L59
> [5]
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-push-helloworld/blob/master/android/src/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/helloworld/activities/MessagesActivity.java#L67-L72
>

>> Thanks and to be honest , aerogear makes it super simple to send out
>> notifications .I still need to figure out if i can  send messages by
>> deviceId as that is my key requirement.
>>

> Glad to know that and thanks for trying out the UPS

+1 yeah, gald to hear you like it so far :)