[aerogear-dev] Large user base with Aerogear Unified Push

michael michael.yates at abc.net.au
Thu Oct 30 08:16:56 EDT 2014

All,
We have been evaluating Aerogear Unified Push and things are going well so
far.
But up until now we have only had a small numbers of users (in the tens)
registering or requiring a push.

We are looking at adding push functionality into one of our core products.
Last time we did a major revision to our core product we had in the order of
half a million users upgrade to the new version in the first 24 hours.
Unfortunately I don't have stats to hand on the busiest hour during that
period.

If we add push to our Android and iOS versions of our application and a
large proportion of our users accept the new permission in app we could be
looking at hundreds of thousands of registrations in a day and tens of
thousands in an hour. Note that we are not migrating from another provider
so this will be a "cold start".

So my questions are:
- Has anyone used Aerogear at this sort of scale? (happy to talk out of band
if you don't want to put your name out in a forum)
- What is the best deployment architecture to go for in this case?
- Similar to the above question - will Aerogear work nicely behind a load
balancer?
- If there are multiple instances of the app running can it take advantage
of read slaves if DB is a bottle neck?
- Has anyone done any sizing or transaction rates against AWS instances?
- Do any of the database back ends perform better or worse for this sort of
on boarding?

Obviously once we get all of our users on we will want to push them some
messages. So has anyone done pushes to hundreds of thousands of users using
Aerogear? What was the approximate time from the start to the end of the
process?

Note I've read JIRA and haven't seen much related to scalability except
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-661 from
http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/aerogear-dev/2014-May/007793.html

I also note with interest that dealing with pushing messages at scale isn't
without its challenges
-
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16352131/apple-push-notifications-in-bulk

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Michael

PS - Assuming we do go with Aerogear we will happily write up our findings
on how it ended up ;)