[aerogear-dev] Differential Synchronization: Shadow/Backup Revision Control and its Garbage Collection

Randall Hauch rhauch at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 10:21:34 EDT 2014

On Sep 8, 2014, at 5:33 AM, Lukáš Fryč <lukas.fryc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't believe LiveOak ensure ACID guarantees (at least not on batch update level; correct me if I'm wrong), and I don't think we should start with that.
> Any given REST call that leads to updating more than one endpoint is not atomic anymore.

IIUC, LiveOak’s batches are essentially just a set of operations each performed atomically.

I am going to start looking at several longer-lead things in LiveOak, including batch operations with predefined policies that dictate whether the operations in the batch are consistent, atomic, and isolated.

> I would rather say that whole Data Sync is eventually consistent solution (at least in its first versions).
>
> Sure, app/user will know that there is a conflict on one of the updated entities (and we may provide an API to make the resolution easier), but it will be up to him to resolve it.
>
> Or am I wrong?

It sounds like this may be the case early on, with the conflict resolution approach. Hopefully, support for batches can eventually be added, and if so then apps can rely less (hopefully far less) on the user for deconflicting data.