[aerogear-dev] Amazon Push SDK and Android Push SDK

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 08:31:21 EST 2015

Good Morning all !

As you might know, we are currently adding Amazon Device Messaging support
to the UnifiedPush server.
The server side has been PRed and it's now time to work on the client SDK.
As you probably know, the amazon devices :  the Kindle Fire (2nd and third
generation), Fire Phone and FireTV are running FireOS which is basically a
fork of Android OS. And since we have an Android Push SDK I start looking
if we could reuse it.

First good news, is that since AGDroid 2.0, things has been nicely isolated
and is open for extension. But there is still some refactoring to do, the
"UPS Registration" flow/logic is still in the "gcm" package[1]. That logic
should be moved one package level higher in a new Abstract class.
In the end we will have a "gcm" package and a "adm" package (or project,
see later in my questions)

This way the ADM logic would be able to reuse that registration code. I
started to play a bit with this refactoring here[2], disclaimer here, I'm
not even sure that this code compiles, is just to give an idea.

So before I go further,  some questions (mainly for our Android Gods ;)  )
:

- Is this a good idea (reusing your SDK) ? I think yes, even if there is
some time and effort needed for refactoring to make it completly generic.

- How do we build / package / deliver ? We probably want 2 distinct
JAR/aar. We could use profile in Maven to only package one feature but that
sounds a bit "messy".
What about having sub-projects, this way we would have
aerogear-android-push and then : aerogear-android-push-gcm and
aerogear-push-gcm.

- The registration flow for ADM[3] (so device <-> Amazon's server) is a bit
different thant the GCM one
, it's the same interface that receive the registration event and the push
notification events. We have to check how this fit with the current
architecture of android-push.

Other challenge will be shipping ADM jar, since this one is on Maven and
must be downloaded manually but that is for later ;)

Sebi

[1]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/blob/master/aerogear-android-push/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/android/unifiedpush/gcm/AeroGearGCMPushRegistrar.java
[2] https://github.com/sebastienblanc/aerogear-android-push/tree/refactoring