[aerogear-dev] AeroGear.js

Lucas Holmquist lholmqui at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 12:26:44 EST 2015

While i was getting things together for the 2.1.0 release, I started to think about the structure of AeroGear.js.

Lets take DataManager as an example.

var dataManager = new AeroGear.DataManager();
Basically, the resulting datamanger object is a fancy array. We can add new stores to it:

dataManager.add('memoryStoreThing');

dataManager.add({{
    name: "indexDBStore",
    type: "IndexedDB"
}});
I'm not sure what the reason for this was historically. I think this concept was initally created when we were doing Pipeline.

But sticking to this example, i'm wondering if it adds any value though. would someone create a Datamanager that has more than one store in it? It's possible i guess if someone wanted to store the same info in a IndexedDB and WebSQL database at the same, for example, but there is currently no way to sync data between the two

With the next release, 2.1.0, we will be deprecating Notifier, which uses this pattern.

So Datamanager and Sync would be the only things using this pattern. Which i'm not sure makes sense anymore.

The remaining parts of the Library, Crypto, UnifiedPush, and to some extent SimplePush(currenlty coupled with Notifier) don't do this.

I am leaning toward proposing we get rid of this pattern and just make a DataManager object hold 1 store/adapter( sync woud follow suit )

This change though would be a 3.0 thing since it would be changing the way the API works.

I'm also wondering if it would make sense to separate the differnt parts of the library into different repo's.

I think one of the main reasons this wasn't done in the past was because AeroGear.Core was shared across many pieces of the library and it would be a lot of code duplication.

But something like the UnifiedPush Client SDK, might make sense in a separate repo.

For distribution, i've actually created a AeroGear Component GH organization, that has pieces of the library, https://github.com/orgs/AeroGear-Components/dashboard <https://github.com/orgs/AeroGear-Components/dashboard>
I think i've started to ramble, so i'll stop here and look for comments