[aerogear-dev] Website Guides Links

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Tue Jan 20 11:33:18 EST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Lucas Holmquist <lholmqui at redhat.com>
wrote:

> https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/
>

> So a couple things
>
> First, looking at this list under the  “Getting Started” section.  I’m
> wondering how much of it can be removed
>

>    - FAQ <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/FAQ.html>
>    - Get Started With AeroGear.js
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/GetStartedAeroGearJS.html>
>    - Get Started With HTML5 Mobile Web Development
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/GetStartedHTML5MobileWeb>
>    - Get Started with Hybrid Application Frameworks
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-cordova/HybridApplicationFrameworks>
>    - Get Started with iOS and Xcode
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/GetStartedwithAeroGearandXcode>
>    - Get Started with iOS and AeroGear Xcode Template
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/GetStartedwithAeroGearandXcodeTemplate>
>    - Deploying HTML5 Applications to Openshift
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/HTML5AppsToOpenshift>
>    - HTML5 Mobile Quickstart & Archetype Deep Dive
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/HTML5MobileQuickstartAndDeepDive>
>    - HTML5 + REST Applications
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/HTML5RESTApps>
>    - Cordova Setup
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-cordova/CordovaSetup>
>    - Converting an AeroGear HTML5 + REST Web App to a Hybrid App with
>    Apache Cordova
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-cordova/HTML5ToHybridWithCordova>
>    - Tutorial: Android Development w/ PhoneGap/Apache Cordova in JBoss
>    Developer Studio 5
>    <https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-cordova/CordovaAndroidDevJBDS>
>

> The getting started with AeroGear.js talks about pipes as does the FAQ.
>
> The various HTML5 links are very much out of date and i think are better
> taken care of by the JBoss Developer quickstarts
> http://www.jboss.org/get-started/
>
> I would like to remove this section and just use section below it “User
> Guides” which link to the cookbooks

+1000

also the cookbooks is not JUST code, they do (should) also give a very
detailed explanation about code and want not. In fact, it's a better
tutorial, that comes with code :-)

Since the cookbooks have different demos, perhaps it could have a
GETTING_STARTED.md file that links to (external?) pages: how to setup Xcode
or Android Studio in those cases you need a IDE (yeah, JS a text editor is
good enough)

> Second,  The "Supported Platforms” section i think is a bit outdated also,
>  in terms of browser support,  at least wrt IE and mobile browsers.
>
> I wonder if this section can be removed also, and I can just add the
> browser targets to the README of the aerogear.js repo

Right. do it! :)

The native platforms all have a landing page and there we should say
"supports version blah and later"