[aerogear-dev] UPS console new UI review

Andres Galante agalante at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 17:55:48 EST 2015

Hey!

Today Lukas, Sebastien help me review UPS new UI.
I also did some usability testing yesterday (over dinner with slightly drunk programmers friends of mine).

Here are the results and a bunch of questions for us to discuss:

- Code snippets need a “copy” btn like http://getbootstrap.com/components/

- Descriptions on apps and variants. Can we just remove them? Are they useful?

- "Add a variant" form. There is going to be a validation of the form to make sure connections are correctly set up.

- Variants page [1]. If the user has lots of variants set up, the list would be huge. I am working on solutions, Lukas and Sebastien had very good ideas.

- "Send notification" form has the same problem. Lukas suggested a great solution, to use Multiple select boxes https://select2.github.io/examples.html

- Warnings. Where to show them? How to display them? How to make them disappear once the issue is solve?

- Delete apps or variants takes a lot of time. there is a JIRA about this.

- Add a progress bar to show progress of notifications been sent.

- Add links to documentation everywhere.

- We talked about adding sorting options on the variants list (by name, or by creation date) but it seems that search would be enough. although there was one tester that asked for sorting options.

- It also come to my attention that the name “Variant” is too general. Every non UPS developer I've shown the console asked me “what are variants” and when I explain, they asked me “Why don’t you find a better name that represent “group of devices”?

Lukas mention that a change of wording at this point would be very hard since we have the word “Variant” all over our docs. But maybe for 2.0 we can think of a better way to help the user understand what a Variant is.

Here is the prototype, click around and send feedback :)
http://andresgalante.com/ups-console/login.html

[1]http://andresgalante.com/ups-console/app-detail-variants.html