[aerogear-dev] Sync Notes / Early issues

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 11:49:53 EST 2015

On 01/26/2015 11:37 AM, Lucas Holmquist wrote:
> Perhaps we have already brought this up,  but what are we(our sync
> stuff) trying to be.
>
> Are we trying to be Dropbox/google docs/etc…..  or something else(what
> that is i’m not sure).
>
> What are our real use cases here?
Here are some simple ones that I want the sync server for
  * A Conference app user synchronizes a personalized schedule among his
devices
  * A Users preferences are restored / synchronized across his devices
(filtered by some kind of profile.  IE phone preference, tablet
preferences, desktop preferences)
  * A list of content is continually updated (think Facebook feed)

So this gives us two usage patterns

1. A single user-document synchronized across devices
2. A single document synchronized across all user*devices.

I don't think anyone has thought of some truly collaborative things like
Google docs where you have multiple users on multiple devices editing
multiple documents all with different permission tuples.

Many things can be fit in these two scenarios however.  In the Dropbox
use case you mention the "document" is the users files, metadata, and
their location.  The actual data will probably be hosted some place else.

>> On Jan 26, 2015, at 11:31 AM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com
>> <mailto:supittma at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/26/2015 11:26 AM, Randall Hauch wrote:
>>> From this and previous threads, it sounds like you’re targeting how
>>> multiple users could collaboratively edit the same document.
>>> Essentially, this is like Google Docs, though perhaps a bit lighter
>>> weight. Am I misunderstanding the scenario?
>> Document is a generic term.  It is a wrapper around a JSON serializable
>> object.
>>>
>>> For example, would this kind of data sync be useful when there are
>>> millions of shared documents/entities? For example, a Yelp-like app
>>> would probably want to have an entity/document for each restaurant
>>> or business, where that document contained an aggregation of
>>> information about that business. In my mind, these kinds of
>>> documents are more akin to JPA entities — or rather akin to
>>> aggregates of related JPA entity objects.
>> Yes ish.  Right now the sync server is very young, but we can model the
>> data as a single document and have the apps display views into it and
>> make edits appropriately.  The trick will be making sure that the
>> serialization is always the same (IE two clients aren't constantly
>> updating because they serialize data in different orders)
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Randall

>> Summers Pittman

Summers Pittman