[aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon Jul 27 03:46:37 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> sorry for the late response ;-)
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So good news,
>>>
>>> Topic support for GCM is trivial to implement.  In fact after 20 minutes
>>> I have most of the work done in the Android library.  The behavior of
>>> topics matches the behavior of categories.  I would like to propose some
>>> enhancements.
>>>

>> yay
>>

>>> 1) Changing categories/topics currently requires the application to
>>> unregister and reregister on UPS.  I would like to add a subscribe and
>>> unsubscibe method to the pushRegistrar interface which will subscribe and
>>> unsubscribe the device from topics.
>>>

>> Ok, makes sense. Actually I like the idea. Should this be done on the
>> other SDKs too? If so... does it make sense to change the RESTful endpoint
>> to? e.g. do a PUT to update the device metadata?
>>

> So strictly speaking we don't need to have GCM 3 Android register its
> categories with UPS.  Google can handle those.

yeah, but we need the info on the UPS for a bunch of reasons... (e.g. only
1m devices per topic allowed).
I think this is very easy to translate to our existing categories...

> How are we handling compatibility?

What do you mean here?

> Would it be weird if 1.2 of UPS requires ADroid push 3.0?

Well, I do not think this is a problem. the 1.1.0 also requires AGDroid2,
due to analytic support.
Let's release note it, and be good. I think

>> I recall we kinda had this talk before. See:
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-1399
>>

>>> 2) All Message listeners receive messages from all topics the device is
>>> subscribed to.  I would like to extend registrar manager to be able to
>>> attach messages handlers per topic as well as globally.
>>>

>> Due to the nature of the Android layer around GCM 3, this is specific to
>> Android only, right ?
>>
> I don't know enough about iOS, sorry :(

Ok, let me ask different: This is something done only on GCM3's topics,
right ?