[aerogear-dev] UPS 1.2, GCM 3.0 Topics, and Google's rest-client updates

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Fri Jul 31 11:04:18 EDT 2015

Guys and gals,

UPS is currently using a fork of Google's rest-client sample to communicate
with Google's servers (See the previous thread UPS and com.ganyo:gcm-server
for details**).  This is an outdated fork from https://github.com/google/gcm.

It is in fact very outdated.  The rest client code, Message and Builder
objects, Constant fields, and Sender code don't support all of the
fields/errors/etc needed for GCM topics messaging.  Additionally it uses a
deprecated field in a few places.  I've filed two* issues*** in the gcm
project to reach out and begin work with them to resolve this in a more
sane way.  In the meanwhile we will probably have to patch and support our
own fork of the library.

Thoughts, comments, tomatoes?

PS, this will probably bump XMPP support from aerogear-android-push 3.0 and
UPS 1.2.  Please let me know if it should and i will pull those from the
JIRA epics and we can reschedule them.

Summers

* https://github.com/google/gcm/issues/84
*** https://github.com/google/gcm/issues/85