[aerogear-dev] Removing gradle from the aerogear-cordova-oauth2 build

Brian Leathem bleathem at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:00:15 EST 2015

Hello gear-heads,

The aerogear-cordova-oauth2 project currently has a requirement to be
built with gradle, in order to be able to build the aerogear oauth2
dependencies.  This affects users, as once they add the aeorgear cordova
plugin to their project, they have to switch to a gradle-based build.

I propose we look at what was done with google-play-services as a means
of working around this gradle requirement.  There are two ways to
introduce a dependency to google-play-services in your cordova
project/plugin:

a) Add a maven dependency: com.google.android.gms:play-services:4.0.30 at aar
b) Add a cordova plulgin dependency: com.google.playservices

a) can be achieved only after following the
how-to-build-aerogear-android [1] instructions, so an even bigger
inconvenience for users.

b) on the other hand is as simple as:

i)  running "cordova plugin add com.google.playservices" in your project
folder
or
ii) adding "com.google.playservices" as a dependency to the android
section of your plugin's plugin.xml file [2].

This is made possible because the google-play-services binaries are
published as a cordova plugin via a project hosted on github [3].

I propose we create a project similar to [3], to hold the aerogear
android dependencies.  Call it "aerogear-android-services" for the sake
of this argument.  We would then register this project with cordova so
the aerogear-cordova-oauth2 plugin can have a dependency on the
aerogear-android-services cordova plugin, rather then the maven/gradle
dependency we have now.  This would then alleviate the
aerogear-cordova-oauth2 from needing to be built with gradle.

Thoughts?

[1]
https://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-android/how-to-build-aerogear-android/
[2]