[aerogear-dev] UPS: Databases - skipping H2 on 1.0.x

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Mar 12 09:30:35 EDT 2015

Hi,

with the migration support on UPS that @qmx did, we have DB schema
versioning. As a consequence the value of 'hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto' in the
persistence.xml was changed to 'validate' to force the JPA provider to
validate, instead of updating.

On #512 we agreed that changing this back to 'update' is back. I did not
see that initially, and I am thankful that @qmx pointed me to it.

What does this mean: for the 1.0.3 release we do no longer support H2
database. Instead we just support MySQL and Postgres, to match production
environments.

However, H2 is handy for getting a quick run, and for new users. Thanks to
our OpenShift cartridge, getting started is even simpler - no local
installation is needed.

However, for MASTER branch, we will be introducing a "development" profile,
that will allow users and developers to ran locally against H2. When
running releases, that - of course - is disabled :-)

Greetings,
Matthias

PS: Yes, we had bugs in the past due to the fact "It works on H2", and now,
supporting 'real' DBs, we are a step closer to production environments,
even for our own development.