[aerogear-dev] iOS Social library

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Tue Mar 31 14:57:23 EDT 2015

I'm sorry if I'm late for the discussion, but I will voice my concerns
anyways.

1. I don't see the real need/use case/scenario to support OAuth1. I'm not
saying that OAuth1 is bad, but currently even after reading the GSoC
proposal, I can't see which problem we're trying to solve here.

2. The big win of our APIs, is the extensibility. In my mind is: implement
by your own if our SDK don't have it. If we're willing to maintain 2
protocols + OAuth1/2 providers outside, I'm a bit concerned about the
bandwidth to maintain this codebase.

By that I mean, not only writing the code, but keep an eye on the
vulnerabilities from an OAuth1 provider located in Springfield, for
example. Because someone thought would be cool to support The Simpsons.

3. I think we have to be cautious about not reinvent the wheel. Several
SDKs for social already the job for most of the popular APIs outside.

4. Our APIs are pretty much in a good shape, but there's always a room for
improvements. If we suggest to people to improve the already existent APIs,
instead of creating new ones, that in my personal opinion would be a good
GSoC proposal.

This is only my 2 cents. I think we should make our SDKs stronger, than
they already are, instead of implement more stuff without a good reason.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Luke Holmquist <lholmqui at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
> wrote:

>>> aerogear-ios-social repository to host FacebookConfig... etc. When it’s
>>> specific to a provider it will go in social.

>>> aerogear-ios-social will be part of GSoC, this PRs are to prepare the
>>> work our student will do. I’ve created the JIRAs for that.
>>>
>>> To have a proper social library we need to have both OAuth1 and 2.
>>> Similar approach for oauth / http integration.
>>> Our oauth1 lib should eventually use aerogear-ios-crypto.
>>

>> I am not sure if we really should put a lot of effort on a proper social
>> lib, including oauth2. A bit surprised this is included in 2.3
>>

> I sort of agree with this.
>
> I was wondering why we need this exactly?  Don't the native platforms(iOS,
> Android) already have SDK's and integration with FB, G+, and twitter
> already.
>
> i know this is a major reason why the JS lib isn't planning a social lib.
> Those libs already exist

>>> GSoC [2] for the iOS social lib so hopefully we’ll have some help here ;)

>>> for OAuth1.

>>> uses Twitter and can be used to test the PRs.

>>> http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-Android-Refactoring-OAuth2-configuration-td11113.html
>>> https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/GSOC15Ideas#jive_content_id_Go_Social
>>> https://github.com/corinnekrych/aerogear-ios-cookbook-1/tree/incognito/Incognito

>> Sent from Gmail Mobile