[aerogear-dev] [Aerogear-users] Aerogear Unified Push registration through a server backend

Erik Jan de Wit edewit at redhat.com
Mon May 18 08:47:11 EDT 2015

The problem is that you don't want/need to call unregister in a normal
flow. Unregister is used for instance when a new version of you app
drops support for push notifications.

I don't get why you are proxy-ing the requests to UPS, because you
cannot have 2 applications receiving the same push notifications. On
iOS the bundle id makes sure of that, and on android there is the
unique project id. So even if a second app would register with UPS it
will not get the push notifications.

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Alex Ballesté
<alexandre.balleste at udl.cat> wrote:
> Hi, I'm developing a mobile app for android and ios for our University. It
> will use AeroGear Unified Push Server to send notifications to students when
> a new announcement is sent in our LMS.
>
> We are developing the app with ionic framework and we are using the register
> and unregister process through a custom backend service instead of direct
> from device.
>
> We use the cordova plugin and we call registers and unregister JS methods,
> but we don't point to the push server endpoint, but backend server instead.
> Once the Backend server gets the requests it creates a new request to Push
> server providing variantSecret and variantID; the response received is sent
> back to the app.
>
> We would like to use this flow for security reasons. We want to avoid that
> the users do their own apps and use those values to register and supply
> alias to get users notifications. So backend handles the security (tokens,
> deviceids, usernames, ... ) and if everything is ok then proxies then
> backend generates a new request fullfilling alias and real authentication
> parameters and the received parameters from app. We achieved the registation
> and unregistration, but when unregistration process is done if we do a new
> re-registration then we got a success response, but then notification didn't
> arrive.
>
> Has anybody did something similar to this approximation? Do you have any
> advise or trick that would be useful for us?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alex
>

> --
>
> Alexandre Ballesté Crevillén alexandre.balleste at udl.cat
> Universitat de Lleida
>
> Àrea de sistemes d'Informació i Comunicacions
>
> Analista/Programador
>

> University of Lleida
>
> Information and Communication Systems Service
>

> Tlf: +34 973 702148
>
> Fax: +34 973 702130

Cheers,
       Erik Jan