[aerogear-dev] Android 2.x and cordova

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Thu May 28 10:26:12 EDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Erik Jan de Wit <edewit at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are going to add metric support to the cordova push plugin. This
> functionality was introduced in the 2.x version of the android push
> lib. The android 2.x version uses 'aar' for packaging. This means the
> new version can only be used with cordova android platform 4.0 as that
> introduced 'aar' framework support.
>
> Or we use a source include, we do that for the oauth2 plugin, it might
> also open the option to get inclusion into phonegap build as binary
> dependencies are not allowed there.

I may be showing my Java bias but upgrading to Cordova 4 and leaning
against the aar sounds the most "correct".

However if doing a source include is not a maintenance nightmare (IE
someone has to manually update the sources all the time) AND it gets us in
phonegap's official packaging system then +1 to that.

For the metrics in cordova we can make it super easy and fully
> automatic all you'll have to do is add "sendMetricInfo": true in your
> pushConfig:

> var pushConfig = {
>    pushServerURL: "http://localhost:8080/ag-push",
>    sendMetricInfo: true,
>    android: {
>       senderID: "<senderID 123>",
>       variantID: "<variantID e.g. 1234456-234320>",
>       variantSecret: "<variantSecret e.g. 1234456-234320>"
>   },
>    ios: {
>       variantID: "<variantID e.g. 1234456-234320>",
>       variantSecret: "<variantSecret e.g. 1234456-234320>"
>    }
> };
>
> I thought that a requirement of metrics was that it is the developer who
picks when to send them not the library?