[aerogear-dev] Generated tokens stay the same?

Philip Gillißen guerda at freenet.de
Tue Oct 27 11:03:00 EDT 2015

Dear list,

I recently discovered your library for TOTP and would like to include it in one of my applications.
Unfortunately, I discovered a situation where the library does not do the things I expected. I want to ask if this is me using the lib in a wrong way.

If I call generator.now() repeatedly, the token does not change, even if the timebox (30 seconds) is already finished.

Here's a small demo code to show my problem:

  String secret = Base32.random();
       Totp generator = new Totp(secret);
       for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
           String tmpNow = generator.now();
           System.out.println(tmpNow);
      try {
        Thread.sleep(10000);
      } catch (InterruptedException e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
      }
  }

}

The printed out token is always the same. It only changes if I reinitialize the generator (Totp) with
generator = new Totp(secret); each time I want to generate a token.

My question is: Is this the desired behavior to only generate new tokens when the generator is newly created?
Do I have to call any other method to check if a new token would be now applicable?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,
Philip

---