[aerogear-dev] Consuming Google-Services.json

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 13:01:31 EDT 2016

See JIRA : https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGDROID-473

Background : Currently we have a developer manually enter the Google
Project ID to enable push messages in their application.  However, this
approach is considered "legacy" from Google's POV and they are encouraging
consuming the Google-services.json file.

There are two ways we can consume this file.  The first is to parse it
manually and extract the key "project_info/project_number"[1].  The second
is to have the developer add the google services plugin to their Gradle
projects and then we can consume the key from the resources with the
field "R.string.gcm_defaultSenderId".

I would prefer to parse the file manually.  It make our code less reliant
on Google's tools and it allows our users to choose if they will use
Google's plug in for its other features.  However, Google's plugin may
provide extra features or validation which may be useful in the future.

Wdyt?

Summers

1: This is a documented value described in this section :
https://developers.google.com/android/guides/google-services-plugin#processing_the_json_file