[aerogear-dev] GCM3: InstanceID tokens versus 'old' tokens

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed Apr 20 06:19:57 EDT 2016

Hi,

the format for tokens received from InstanceID API have a slightly
different format:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/commit/fa74eea6a183d852fb26773bb1b62cf9016c9157

It's basically (prefix_string : RegistrationID).

Now, in order to be able to subscribe on a topic is it _really_ required to
have a 'new' InstanceID token ? I could not find a _clear_ statement

I am asking because I'm working on the server hook to send topic request.

If the answer yes, only InstanceID tokens can subscribe, we need a little
switch on the server (not a show stopper):
1) send /topics/{something} (should not affect 'old' tokens_
2) fallback: find tokens w/o the ':', so we can fallback to pure
registration Id for "non-Instance ID " tokens

Thanks,
Matthias