[aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code: AeroGear WebPush and UnifiedPush Server integration

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Sat Apr 23 06:51:23 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I am very happy to welcome Idel Pivnitsky this year as our Google Summer of
Code student. Idel is an active community member since last years GSoC
project, where he directly worked on our WebPush Server effort.

This year Idel will work on WebPush and its integration into our
UnifiedPush Server.

Please join me in welcoming Idel to work on WebPush at AeroGear this summer!

Greeting,
Matthias

Attached is the abstract

AeroGear WebPush and UnifiedPush Server integration

Abstract:
The AeroGear UnifiedPush Server is a powerful and scalable server that
allows sending push notifications to different (mobile) platforms. And now
it’s time to extend it and add supporting for a new WebPush protocol, which
will allow to send push notifications to the web browsers, such as Google
Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The project also supposes integration of
AeroGear WebPush Server with UPS, which will allow to send push
notifications to any device without requirement to use vendor’s push­
messaging systems (Google Cloud Messaging, Mozilla Push Service).

Expected results:
- Add WebPush support for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers into
UPS.
- Integrate AeroGear WebPush server with UnifiedPush Server.
- Good test coverage for the new code (unit and integration testing).
- Documentation for all new developments and changes.
- Demo applications for showing the work of WebPush protocol in action with
UPS:
  - pure WebPush demo: AeroGear UPS to WebPush Server, which delivers to a
browser/device;
  - GCM/MPS push, triggered by UPS. On browser/device push message is