[aerogear-dev] Adding ES6 to node sender

Luke Holmquist lholmqui at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 13:10:12 EST 2016

hello,

I just created a JIRA for the node ups sender,
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGJS-308, that tracks the addition of using
ES6(the next version of Javascript).

My thoughts were to use the new features where ever possible.

Since not every feature is available on all versions of node, we would use
Babel.js https://babeljs.io/ , to transpile that code back to ES5(the
version before es6 :)).

This transpilation would happen during an "npm publish" so users would
never really see a difference.

The cool thing about Babel is that we can specify which features we want
transpiled,  so in the future this list of transpiled features would
hopefully get smaller and smaller.

The latest versions of node have a lot of new features in them, so it would
be nice to start coding that way.  For instance, this plugin,
https://www.npmjs.com/package/babel-preset-node5  , is a preset for the
features that node 5 has.

wanted to get some thoughts on this.

-Luke