[aerogear-dev] Firefox Push API with UnifiedPush Server

Luke Holmquist lholmqui at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 09:25:01 EDT 2016

I'm tempted to say that there should be a "WebPush" variant instead which
could be chrome/ff/safari, but i think chrome and safari are to closely
related to Android/iOS atm that it wouldn't make sense.

Somewhat related to this is the JS SDK for the ups and how it works for
push on the web.  It was initially created to just handle registering
SimplePush clients, since there was no browsers doing push.  Then Safari
introduced push, then chrome and FF.   with regards to the UPS, these are 3
different variants,  so to create 1 app that handles all three you would
need to make sure to register 3 "clients" in the js sdk.  I don't know if
there is anyway we can help the user out with this. Safari is different
enough that it would be easy for the user, but there is no real difference
between the registration code in FF and chrome.(perhaps these 2 should be
the "WebPush" variant) so a user agent parse would probably need to
happen.  i'm not really a big fan of including that in the library,  but
maybe we should have an example that shows push for FF and chrome in the
same example.