[aerogear-dev] SimplePush: are we done with it ?

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed May 25 02:45:00 EDT 2016

Hi,

I wonder if we should call it a day on our SimplePush efforts?

We had a 0.12.1 release in November 2014:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-simplepush-server/releases

and the latest commit to the source code was in February 2015:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-simplepush-server/commits/master

We do have some open JIRAs for a potential 0.13 release, as well as some
future tickets:
* https://issues.jboss.org/projects/AGPUSH/versions/12326562
* https://issues.jboss.org/projects/AGPUSH/versions/12326563

Now, that there is a follow up standard on this, WebPush, and we have a
more active community around that, and a Google Summer of Code student, I
do see this being much more interesting than SimplePush, moving forward.

I think our friends at Mozilla are also seeing much more value in focusing
on WebPush. I guess it's a bit different there as they have SimplePush in
production.

Now... what we could do it, get a last release out and instead '0.13'call
it 1.0.0, and put a note to the Github repository that this is the last
release and we stop maintaining this stuff.

Or do some really feel they want to actively continue the SimplePush server
?

I think it was a good research project and I am happy we got some momentum
around it, but I believe the future is WebPush instead of SimplePush

Feedback is more than welcome!

Matthias