[aerogear-dev] Question about metricsEndpoint

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Apr 20 11:56:37 EDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Jose Miguel Gallas Olmedo <
jgallaso at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to solve some bugish behaviour that makes the status label to
> be "Pending..." permanently, even when the notifications have been sent.
>
> The label is "Pending..." when "*servedVariants*" is less than "
> *totalVariants*" -> https://github.com/aerogear
> /aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/1.1.x-dev/admin-ui/app/
> components/app-detail/include/activity.html#L46
>
> Well, in the *metricsEndpoint.js*, it iterates over all variants and flag
> an error or increase the "*servedVariants*" property ->
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob
> /1.1.x-dev/admin-ui/app/scripts/endpoints/metricsEndpoint.js#L28-L30
>
> ​I don't fully understand what's happening in this iteration and why
> there's no "else" clause. The problem is caused by this I think. During
> some iteration the counter is not being increased hence the
> *servedVariants* never equals *totalVariants* and hence (again) the label
> does not change.​
>
> So the current flow would be:
> 1. If *deliveryStatus* is falsy, flag an error.
> 2. If servedBatches = totalBatches then increase servedVariants
>
> Can both conditions pass? I think they can although this is not expected.

with two conditions?

> Can deliveryStatus be always truthy but the servedBatches != totalBatches?

Yes, each batch uses a Sender, which signals if it could submit something
to the provider:
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/blob/1.1.x-dev/push/sender/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/unifiedpush/message/NotificationDispatcher.java#L94-L98

now, when we have 10 batches, starting in batch one we do set the status to
true, and we continue to do so (if success) on all other coming batches.

On the server I noticed a timing issue, with the internal processing of the
metrics payload via JMS