[aerogear-dev] Suggestion/Discussion - Removal of AeroGear.org Production Branch

Laura Fitzgerald lfitzger at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 06:07:47 EST 2017

Hi all,

I have recently gone through the process of publishing documentation for
AeroGear Digger to aerogear.org.

The process for adding docs for digger was as follows:

- Make changes on Feature Branch over a period of time.
- At some point merge lots of commits (difficult to review) from Feature
Branch to master.
- This publishes to staging.aerogear.org (build needs to be manually
triggered in Jenkins)
- At some point merge master (again with lots of commits) to production
branch
- This publishes to aerogear.org (build needs to be manually triggered)

Out of this we attempted to improve the process by adding development steps
to the README [1] outlining that
-> each change should be verified on it's own -> merged to master -> and
then merged to production
removing the wait time and merges which involved lots of commits and
changes.

*I think there are a few things we can do to make this better. (simpler)*

*1) How?*

Remove the production branch (and related steps) altogether.

*Why?*

- All this documentation is done in the open.
- All branches are visible to all users/developers.
- staging.aerogear.org is not private so I don't see that we gain something
by having this step.
- Changes can be verified locally by building the website using the steps
in the README [2] before being merged to master.

*2) How?*
Automate the publishing of the site

*Why?*
Right now the building of the site has to be triggered manually via a
Jenkins instance on cloudbees. If we remove production and enforce that all
changes are fully verified before being merged to master then we can
automate that any new changes are published immediately once merged to
master.

*3) How?*
Add some sort of versioning to the documentation. This could be in the form
of tagging the repo once we have a release of a product.

*Why?*
If we are always publishing docs once a change is made to the product then
we should version the documentation so we know which version of the docs
matches older versions of the product.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm really interested in some feedback on this. Let me know what you think.
Is there a better/simpler way to do it than I suggested?

[1]
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear.org/blob/master/README.md#development-steps
[2] https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear.org/blob/master/README.md#building
--