[aerogear-dev] Google Summer of Code 2017 - ideas

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Sun Jan 15 02:06:53 EST 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Wojciech Trocki <wtrocki at redhat.com> wrote:

> I have some ideas for the digger jenkins, but some of them may be too much
> specific for the students and in some cases they may be just boring.
> I think it's best to allow students to perform some experiments with build
> pipelines.
>
> For example:
> - adding automatic tests to pipelines using emulator etc.

I think this has potential (automation for emulators / real devices).
PErhaps as an addon to Arquillian (there were some tool (or at least ideas)
about mobile there)

- adding automatic app store distribution to Android and IOS
> - playing around with fastlane (for example making screenshots of the app
> during the build)
> - building pipeline helpers in form of DSL language
> - extending build pipelines by adding support for mobile plugins (more
> jenkins than digger jenkins, but we can still benefit from this one)

I think these are all very different things, making it hard to have a good
proposal. Sounds more like "fix our random things" :-)

> Basically no limitations here as students may have their fav build tools
> etc.
> This would allow us to see how easy is to build pipelines and if digger
> jenkins would work with this custom requirements without changes.
> No specific digger knowledge would be required and entire process may be
> quite enjoyable for the students interested in mobile apps development.
> We can use them later as inspiration and share as pipeline examples.
> I can provide more info how we can organize this and how it will span
> across 3 months of work.
>
> *> How about integration of Digger-Jenkins with Eclipse Che?*
> The way I see it, is that Jenkins can listen to changes in git repository.
> Commit from che would trigger build on the Jenkins.

Right, that's CI
I was wondering if we could do a better integration/extension. E.g. from
your idea, trigger a build, and have the option to have the extension
download the APK (and launch to connected device/emulator).
just some thoughts