[aerogear-dev] FCM topic: use on alias as well ?

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue May 30 13:33:50 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> on FCM related push, we do, in our client SDK, automatically subscribe a
>>> client to an annoymous topic, matching our immutable variant ID.
>>>
>>> If users are specifying categories, we do map those into topics as well.
>>>
>>> This is the related code in our Android SDK:
>>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/blob/maste
>>> r/aerogear-android-push/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/and
>>> roid/unifiedpush/fcm/AeroGearFCMPushRegistrar.java#L188-L193
>>>
>>> How do people feel about doing that for the alias as well ?
>>>
>>> In the past we did not do it, since topics used to be a more restricted
>>> resource. Remember, the first notion of topics (GCM v3, at that time) were
>>> even limiting the number of max. subscribers?
>>>
>>> However, that changed, and I think it would be nice if we just use the
>>> topics for each alias of the app as well. This would speed up the time to
>>> deliver the push request to the FCM backend, since the UPS would no longer
>>> need to look up the device, a push, regardless how many devices, means one
>>> small HTTP to Google, per alias (aka topic)
>>>
>>> Any thoughts ?
>>>

>> So there is a concept of "device groups" in FCM which are devices owned
>> by the same logical user.  I think that might be a more interesting knob to
>> twist than more stuff on a topic.
>>

> any link ? ;-)

So I think I might be overstating and misremembering, but this :
https://firebase.google.com/docs/cloud-messaging/android/device-group#sending_upstream_messages_to_device_groups
looks promising.  Basically if I am reading the doc right I can send a
message from one device to the others using device groups, and this message
could be a read receipt that closes the other notifications when it is
received.