[aerogear-dev] [feedhenry-dev] Upstream Community Documentation

Wojciech Trocki wtrocki at redhat.com
Wed Nov 22 10:02:37 EST 2017

Thanks for raising that question - I think it's really important to talk
about it.
I think we had the similar conversation 6 months ago when kickstarting
RainCatcher docs.

Personally I think is essential for every project to have his own landing
sub page (with documentation,demo video etc.) that can be accessed easily
from feedhenry, aerogear main web pages.
In RainCatcher we went even further and created separate web page (that is
linked in feedhenry.org).
This works pretty well as documentation, getting started etc. is exposed
directly on the main page.

I think that feedhenry.org has really good layout itself when listing all
projects. We could just provide less information so people looking for
something specific will not need to scroll too much.
Spring (any many other aggregating communities) do the same. For example:
https://spring.io/docs/reference

We can apply similar list to aerogear website - however I'm not aware of
the impact or challenges in that area)

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Paul Wright <pwright at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi AeroGear, FeedHenry
>
> As part of a review of Digger (Build Farm) docs,  I created a PR
> <https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear.org/pull/687> to attempt to improve
> user navigation of:
>
> https://aerogear.org/
>
> Feedback on that PR raised the question of general navigation of this web
> site:
>
> * What should be in the Getting Started menu to help me get started with
> digger? (I think digger is more than a code snippet or library)
>
> * If I'm interested in digger, should I expect any digger info under
> module or platform menu items?
>
> * I sometimes navigate to a page, but can't remember how I navigated to
> it, then cannot find the info again.
>
> These issues can be resolved, but will require a lot of effort, but
> another question is:
>
> * Will it provide us a platform to build the community we want?
>
> The web site looks great, and I learn a lot from browsing it (eg I didn't
> know about https://aerogear.org/sync/ until today), but I wonder if it is
> doing the job we want it to do? and how do we keep it up-to-date? (
> https://aerogear.org/docs/planning/)
>
> Meanwhile over at:
>
> http://feedhenry.org/docs/
>
> Not much there at the moment, but it will be the location for mobile.next
> doc
>
> * Do we want users switching from MCP doc on feedhenry.org over to digger
> doc on aerogear.org and back again for some fh.sync doc?
>
> These are difficult and challenging questions, I don't expect them to be
> easy to resolve and I'm happy to agree with whatever the communities decide
> to do. All this mail hopes to do is to raise the question of
>
> * How do we communicate the "mobile.next" (i.e. feedhenry mcp and aerogear
> digger) message as cleanly as possible?
>
> (The real challenge occurs after that, convincing them to adopt
> mobile.next, but users will never adopt if they can't find answers  they
> hit the first stumbling block)
>
> thanks,
>
> Paul

WOJCIECH TROCKI