[aerogear-dev] [feedhenry-dev] Upstream Community Documentation

Paul Wright pwright at redhat.com
Wed Nov 29 10:08:11 EST 2017

Inline

On 11/29/2017 02:14 PM, Summers Pittman wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Wojciech Trocki <wtrocki at redhat.com
> <mailto:wtrocki at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for raising that question - I think it's really important
>     to talk about it.
>     I think we had the similar conversation 6 months ago when
>     kickstarting RainCatcher docs.
>
>     Personally I think is essential for every project to have his own
>     landing sub page (with documentation,demo video etc.) that can be
>     accessed easily from feedhenry, aerogear main web pages.

Project?  sync, push, raincatcher, digger - after that I'm not sure, is
each sdk a project or not?
Do the users care what we consider to be a project? I'm thinking for
mobile.next, the end user might start by considering MCP, but then later
think about sync, then later think about the ios sdk.

I thinkthis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpers_and_splitters>needs
further exploration, but Raincatcher is a good example of things working
well.

>     In RainCatcher we went even further and created separate web page
>     (that is linked in feedhenry.org <http://feedhenry.org>).
>     This works pretty well as documentation, getting started etc. is
>     exposed directly on the main page.

Yea, I like that there's a feature associated with a set of repos, and
one doc repo to tie the functionality together. We could set the
homepage for all the associated repos to the published version of the
doc repo to tie them together.

>     I think that feedhenry.org <http://feedhenry.org> has really good
>     layout itself when listing all projects. We could just provide
>     less information so people looking for something specific will not
>     need to scroll too much.
>     Spring (any many other aggregating communities) do the same. For
>     example: https://spring.io/docs/reference
>     <https://spring.io/docs/reference>
>
>     We can apply similar list to aerogear website - however I'm not
>     aware of the impact or challenges in that area)

Here's the big one:

Would it help to redirect aerogear.org to feedhenry.org and host
everything there? I think that's been hinted at, but not asked
explicitly up to now. For me the advantages are:

* one website is easier than two (process, tooling, communications, etc)
* addition is easier than subtraction, easier to add digger/push to
feedhenry.org, than to extract dead material from aerogear
* not having to deal with jekyll/plugins ;)

Paul