[aerogear-dev] aerogear.org refresh work

Tuomas Kuosmanen tigert at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 05:48:38 EDT 2018

Hello.

I am a designer at the Open Source and Standards team at Red Hat. We help
communities with various things.
I have been working on the aerogear website refresh which is viewable here
for now: https://tigert-work.github.io/
It's a github pages site that follows this repo:
https://github.com/tigert-work/tigert-work.github.io

The idea behind the change comes from the effort to split documentation
into a separate site that focuses on being developer friendly and usable,
and the main aerogear.org would have more focus on showcase of the project.

The plan is to move the repo over to aerogear github organization
eventually, but right now I am requesting help with the content, because I
do not have much hands-on experience in AeroGear myself. My brief
discussion on IRC also revealed that some of that content I took from the
old site as a starting point is indeed old and no longer true.

What we have so far:

Front page:

   - The two columns' wording is rough, but it tries to explain that we
   have a toolkit with different modules for mobile development with OpenShift
   / Kubernetes as the service platform.
   - It also showcases the three featured modules and links to per-module
   pages that will explain a bit more of each.

Get Started:

   - Getting Started is something I need help with. The process as far as I
   understand, involves your own private openshift instance and probably more
   things I am not aware of. My understanding is that the user will spin up
   the service catalog and start the aerogear service, then install the sdk
   and build an example application (probably push notifications) that you get
   up and running. There then needs to be a link for more examples covering
   the other modules on the new documentation site. This would be something we
   should try to make as easy as possible to get started, but the requirement
   of your own openshift kind of makes it quite a different scale than just
   installing a plugin on your android sdk and building an example app. Ideas
   are welcome :-)

Documentation:

   - This link is currently broken as new docs are being split into
   docs.aerogear.org that does not yet exist.

Community:

   - This is from the current site, and it is probably OK apart from the
   "Contributing to AeroGear" links that needs to be rewritten and link-fixed
   once the new docs are in place.

Module pages: These are under construction as well, whatever content there
is is mostly from the existing site.

Any help with the content would be appreciated, both structural "flow" and
spotting inaccuracies or problems. You can file github issues on the
repository for example.

Thanks a lot for any time and effort you can spare on this.

Tuomas