[aerogear-dev] UPS: Admin UI

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon Feb 5 14:05:21 EST 2018

Hi, Dave

thanks for the feedback

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 6:16 PM, David Martin <davmarti at redhat.com> wrote:

> For RHMAP 3/4, the Studio was originally part of a single jar/war
> (millicore). It did have a jsp for delivering the index.html (which
> wrote a bunch of inline javascript)
>
> The studio was then decoupled from the war file as a separate war
> (fh-studio). However, it still had an index.jsp, but called back to
> the 'core' to get some of the info needed for that.
>
> This was eventually refactored into a node.js express app (fh-ngui)
> and deployed completely separately. It still made calls back to the
> core to get some config/user info.
>
> The main benefit I found was the UI could be progressed at a faster
> pace as the local development tooling could be tailored better. (just
> run the UI server & hook up to an existing core somewhere)
> However, it introduced overhead with the addition of a new deployable
> component.

that's also some of the points. We already have the development moved over
to a different repo.
We currently just stick it's JAR (which might be silly) into the WAR.

> This was all in a pre-containers world, but it was migrated to a
> container world (on openshift).
> We never went as far as nginx serving static content, but I could see
> that as a logical progression.
> It would probably mean a smaller footprint overall.

cool. It's something I will include in the proposal (not done any testings).

Currently I look removing some good parts of the WAR file for the push
delivery itself.

current approach, which I do like so far, is having each "network" run as a
java process, that wires the "send bits" (e.g. for iOS) togehter via
messaging (kafka).
Here is a metrics screenshot:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/157646/35808591-9393ec6c-0a86-11e8-9b6f-f138fe0a5691.png

code is located here:
https://github.com/matzew/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/tree/8d01c771a0a89d1243534adef3a924ad284b3c41/push-agents/apns-agent/src/main/java/org/aerogear/push/apns

It's borrowing some concenpts/code from core UPS. but is really no http
server - just a standard Main, which has a kafka consumer, plugged via ENVs.

I currently deploy to Openshift using the fabric8-maven-plugin (fmp), that
generates all all (docker file, k8s/oc yamls).

I will do the same for FCM.

Once that all is done, we have no "sending" code in the UPS, and we can
move than the UPS itself to WF-Swarm, for a migration to a simpler
develipment/deployment model (and perhaps some more modules in the longer
run)

Proposing:
* fcm-sender.jar (in container)
* apns-sender.jar (in container)